The Scooba and Braava robots to be compared are shown below:
Scooba robots are round.
Scooba 450 measures 14.4” in diameter, 3.6” in height, and weighs 8.3 lbs.
Braava robots are rectangular.
Braava 380t measures 8.6"x 9.4" with a height of 3.1".
Braava Jet 240 measures 6.7” x 7” with a height of 3.3”.
Braava 380t weighs 4lbs.
Braava Jet 240 weighs 2.7 lbs.
Braava 380t comes in black while Braava Jet 240 comes in white.
So, Braava robots, specially Braava Jet 240, are smaller and lighter than Scooba robots. Smaller size is an advantage when considering floor vacuuming or floor washing robots, because it allows the robot to access narrower spaces and clean under lower furniture.
Both Scooba and Braava robots can be used on all types of hard-surface floors including tile, hardwood, laminate or stone. However, the way they clean the floors is quite different:
- Scooba 450 lays down fresh cleaning solution which is used to scrub thoroughly the floor. It then squeegees up the dirty water. Note that it never reuses dirty water: it has two reservoirs, one for the clean washing solution, the other for the dirty water that is picked up.
- Scooba 450 washes the floors in three stages: It first sweeps up loose dirt and puts down a thin sheen of water (or iRobot Hard Floor Cleaner solution) to soak any stuck-on dirt and spots. A scrubbing brush spins then at high speed to remove grime while the squeegee vacuum-suctions dirty water off the floor. A final squeegee cycle is applied to finish off.
Braava 380t is quite different than Braava Jet 240 :
- Braava 380t does not pour any liquid on the floor, but it mops the floor using either a dry or damp microfiber cleaning cloth which picks up the dirt, hair and dust. For dry mopping the robot moves in straight lines and for damp mopping it moves back and forth to efficiently and thoroughly mop the floor. All one needs to do is attach a cleaning cloth to the removable magnetic cleaning pad, set the robot down and press either the sweep button for dry mopping or the mop button for damp mopping.
With Braava 380t, when damp mopping is selected, the built-in Pro-Clean reservoir pad dispenses cleaning water throughout the cleaning cycle to keep the cloth damp (of course, the Pro-Clean reservoir pad must be filled with water before use).
Note also that Braava 380t comes with a Turbo Charge Cradle which is a one-stop charging and storage space. It can charge the robot in as little as two hours.
- Braava Jet 240 is quite a bit different. It was designed to sweep and mop smaller floor areas and in particular kitchens and bathroom. Because of its smaller size, the robot can get into hard to reach areas such as around toilets, below cabinets and into corners. It can be used to wet mop, damp sweep or dry sweep hard floors whether tile, wood or stone. So it can be used not just in kitchens and bathrooms, but in rooms with wood or laminate floors as well. Note that for larger rooms more than one battery charge may be required.
What is special with Braava Jet 240 is that it automatically selects the type of cleaning method to be used based on the pad type installed. Three types of pads are available (one for each of the three cleaning methods it can perform): wet mopping pads, damp sweeping pads and dry sweeping pads. The pads are disposable and premixed with detergent.
Note also that Braava Jet 240 is equipped with a precision water nozzle that spays liquid on the floor to loosen dirt and stains (note that the robot is able to locate obstacles before it sprays to protect furniture, rugs and walls). This feature is activated only during damp or wet cleaning and requires that you fill the reservoir with water before activating the robot.
Finally, the robot is also equipped with a vibrating cleaning head that gently scrubs the dirt and stains to remove them.
Floor Coverage in Sq-Ft for the Scooba and Braava Robots
Fully charged, the Scooba and Braava robots can achieve the following maximum floor coverage in a single cycle:
- Scooba 450: 300 sq-ft.
- Braava 380t: 1000 sq-ft with dry mopping and 350 sq-ft with damp mopping.
- Braava Jet 240: from 150 sq-ft to 200 sq-ft.
Navigation Method & Cleaning Effectiveness:
The Scooba and Braava robots use very different navigation methods:
Note that Scooba 450 offers two washing cycle options: a full 40-minute cycle for large rooms and a 20-minute cycle for smaller spaces.
Scooba 450 uses battery-run standalone units called Virtual Walls to prevent the robot from entering areas not wanted to be cleaned. The principle is quite simple: The Virtual Wall unit emits an infra red beam that the robot will not cross. All you have to do is place one at the entrance to a room that you don't want cleaned. The beam generated by the Virtual Wall will block the entrance, and the Scooba will not enter that room. The Virtuall Wall unit is included in the purchase of the robot and requires 2 "D" batteries.
Braava 380t uses the NorthStar Navigation System together with a standalone battery-run Cube to enable the robot to determine its location in the room and to build a map of its route for efficient cleaning. The Cube is placed anywhere in the room to be cleaned and projects a signal to the ceiling that the robot uses to determine its location. It really works like an indoor GPS that helps the robot to keep track of where it is and where it needs to go. The robot makes a single pass over each area within its configured map, and once the work is completed, it returns to its starting point.
Note that Braava 380t can operate with more than one Cube. If you have more than one room to clean, you simply place a Cube in the first room that needs to be cleaned and place additional Cubes in other adjacent rooms or areas you would like the robot to reach. Braava will automatically clean from one Cube to another.
Braava Jet 240 does not require a Cube to operate and, like the Scooba robots, uses the iRobot iAdapt navigation technology which is an advanced system of software and sensors that enables the robot to avoids falling down stairs and riding up on rugs as well as remember obstacles in its path to slow down and gently clean along furniture and walls.
Braava 380t can not be used with Virtual Walls like the Scooba, but Braava Jet 240 allows you to create an invisible boundary that is not to be crossed by invoking its own special “Virtual Wall Mode”. Note that this is different from the Scooba Virtual Wall functionality which requires usage of a hard Virtual Wall unit. With Braava Jet 240, no hard Virtual Wall units are used. You create a virtual boundary yourself by placing the robot on one side of a line you don't want crossed and holding the start button. This is very useful if you want to keep the robot in rooms without a door such as kitchens and entryways.
Both the iAdapt based and the Cube based navigation methods have their pros and cons. Because the Cube based navigation of Braava 380t uses a map, you can be sure that all of the floor surface will be covered, but since this robot doesn't pour water on the floor and doesn't scrub, it is more suited to floors that don't get too dirty and don't have hardened tough spots. On the other hand, since the iAdapt Navigation used by Scooba 450 and Braava Jet 240 robots does not build a map, and rely on sensors to detect dirt, these robots may not cover certain areas of the floor that are not very dirty. But because they do multiple passes and pour water on the floor, they can better get rid of spots that are tougher to clean. Note also that both Braava robots are rectangular in shape which allows them to clean better wall edges and corners. But all three robots are capable of avoiding stairs, area rugs and raised transitions to carpets.
An advantage of Scooba 450 over both Braava robots is that it keeps the cleaning solution in one reservoir and picks up the dirty water into a second reservoir, never reusing dirty water to clean the floors. Therefore, the floors are always washed with a clean solution. On the other hand, the Braava robots use the same cloth or pad throughout the mopping cycle.
The Scooba Virtual Wall and the Braava 380t Cube are shown below. Note that though these are included in the purchased of the robots, additional units can be purchased separately on Amazon.
- Braava robots are practically quiet. There is simply no noise you can hear! You can even run them at night without fear of waking up your neighbors.
- At 70db noise generation, Scooba 450 is definitely louder. At this level of decibels, you can not run them at night without causing some level of disturbance.
Maintenance and Care:
- After use Braava robots require little maintenance. Simply remove the wet wipe or pad and clean it if it is reusable.
- Cleaning your Scooba 450 robot after use requires a bit more work: you will need to empty the two reservoirs, partially fill them with hot water, shake well and drain. It is also advisable to rinse the filter, suction port, and brush after each use.
- Scooba 450: 6-month limited warranty for the battery and 12-month limited warranty for the robot.
- Braava 380t: 1-year limited warranty for robot and battery.
Braava Jet 240: 1-year limited warranty for robot and 6-months on the battery.
Items Included in the Purchase:
- 1 Scooba 450 Robot
- 1 Rechargeable Battery
- 1 Battery Charger
- 1 Virtual Wall (*)
- 1 4-oz Bottle of Hard Floor Cleaner
(*): Requires 2 “D” batteries (not included)
- 1 Braava 380t Robot
- 1 NiMH Battery (2000 mAh)
- 1 Wall Charger
- 1 Turbo Charge Cradle
- 1 Navigation Cube
- 2 “C” Batteries
- 1 Multi-Purpose Cleaning Pad
- 1 Pro-Clean Reservoir Pad
- 1 Microfiber Sweeping Cloth
- 1 Microfiber Damp Mopping Cloth
- 1 Braava Jet Robot
- 1 Lithium Ion Battery
- 1 Battery Charger
- 2 Wet Mopping Pads
- 2 Damp Mopping Pads
- 2 Dry Mopping Pads
So which of these 3 robots is best for your needs?
On the other hand, Braava robots require less maintenance, are whisper quiet, come with some very unique features, and cost a lot cheaper! Also Scooba robots may occasionally leave on the floor some tracks and traces of cleaning solution which you will have to wipe off. This can never occur with Braava 380t since it does not pour any liquid on the floor and use a cleaning cloth to mop, but it could also happen with Braava Jet 240 which sprays the floors in its wet and damp cleaning modes. Finally, Braava 380t builds a map of the room that needs to be cleaned, so you can be sure the floor will completely be covered, and it is rectangular which makes it better suited for cleaning corners and edges.
It is important to note that Braava Jet 240 provides you some of the advantages that come with the Scooba, such as iAdapt navigation technology and wet mopping by spraying liquid on the floor, even though it doesn’t suck up the remaining liquid off the floor, but absorbs it with the attached pad.
So, as long as the floors are not covered with very tough dried-up spots, both Braava robots will do a good mopping job leaving shiny floors! But if you have floors that usually get covered with tough to clean hardened spots, then you should definitely consider the Scooba which does a better job scrubbing the floors to get rid of tough and sticky spots, or if the area to clean is not too large, the Braava Jet 240 which sprays water on the floor to soften hardened spots to facilitate their removal.
So, now that you have all the information, the final decision is of course up to you!
You will find below, on Amazon, the three robots compared in this review.
Scooba and Braava Floor Washing Robots on Amazon
Note: Amazon often provides a good discount on the List Price of sold products. If a discount is available, the List Price and the actual Amazon price will be shown when you click the images below.
Braava Jet 240
Scooba Virtual Walls and Braava Cubes on Amazon
Scooba Virtual Wall
Microfiber 3-Pack for Braava 380t
iRobot Hardfloor Cleaning Concentrate
iRobot Braava Jet 240
iRobot Braava Jet 240
You might also be interested in iRobot's Roomba Vacuuming Robots Comparison:
For a comparison of the latest and top Roomba vacuuming robots, please click below:
Top iRobot Roomba Vacuuming Robots Comparison: 980 vs. 960 vs. 880 vs. 870 vs. 860
Have you not found the product you were looking for?
Global Amazon Search
If you have not found what you are looking for among the above offerings, you can still search for it or for ANY OTHER PRODUCT you may need by clicking below and searching for what you need on Amazon.com: