Compare Neato Botvac and XV Series Vacuuming Robots (Botvac Connected, Botvac D3, Botvac D5, Botvac D80, Botvac D85, Botvac D75, XV Signature PRO and XV-21)
The following pictures show the various Neato robots we will compare below:
Neato Robots Common Features
Both XV and Botvac series robots have a special D-shape with a rounded back and squared-off front. The rectangular front is better adapted to cleaning wall edges and corners.
- Neato robots clean all floor types by automatically transitioning from one floor type to another, whether vacuuming carpet, tile, hard floors, or vinyl.
- All Neato robots are equipped with a laser eye that uses infrared light to scan the surroundings to build an accurate map of the room and any obstacles therein. Using this map, the robot is able to efficiently clean the floor in a pattern of straight and overlapping lines, avoiding obstacles and never missing a spot. This method used by Neato robots makes sure that the entire floor surface is covered.
- In normal operation, the robot will come off of its base, will scan the surroundings to build an accurate map of the room and any obstacles therein, and will start cleaning in sections approximately 15 ft by 15 ft depending on room layout and furniture placement. It will continue to clean section by section until the entire area is cleaned. Normally, the robot will try to clean each room fully before moving on to the next. If a room is only partially cleaned before the robot needs to go to recharge itself, it will come back to finish that room before finishing the complete job.
- To prevent the robot from entering off-limits areas, all Neato robots use Boundary Markers made of magnetic strips. They simply block the robot from moving from one room or area to another. Easily cut, the magnetic strip can fit doorways, around pet bowls, cords, or anywhere you don’t want the robot to go. One roll of magnetic strip is included in the purchase, but additional Boundary Marker rolls can be bought separately if needed (see below Amazon products section).
You can schedule all Neato robots to automatically clean at a time convenient to you, up to 7 times a week (one cleaning for every day of the week).
Charging Base & Battery Life: All Neato robots come with a docking (or charging) base and can return by themselves to the charging base when battery is low and resume without human intervention the cleaning at the point it was interrupted. This allows Neato robots to clean very large floors and a number of adjacent rooms as long as no Boundary Markers are placed at the entrance to the rooms.
All Neato robots come with a 1-year limited warranty.
Differences Between the Various Neato Robots
The following lists the main differences between the different Neato vacuuming robots:
The following are the dimensions of the various Neato Robots:
- XV Signature Pro and XV-21: (12.5"L x 13"W x 4"H).
- Botvac D75, D80, D85 and Botvac Connected: (12.7"L x 13.2"W x 3.9"H).
- Botvac D3 and D5: (12.6"L x 13.2"W x 3.9"H).
The following describes the control panel of each Neato robot:
- XV Signature Pro & XV-21: The control panel of these robots have a tiny screen and associated control buttons that give access to a menu that can be used to configure the robot for scheduled cleaning and to invoke functions such as spot cleaning. The screen also displays status indications such as scheduled time, battery level, etc. These robots are also equipped with a "Start" button to activate the unit and start the cleaning.
- Botvac D75, D80, D85 and Botvac Connected: The control panel of these robots have a tiny screen and associated touch control buttons that give access to a menu that can be used to configure the robot for scheduled cleaning. The screen also displays status indications such as scheduled time, battery level, etc. These robots are also equipped with a "Clean House/Power" button and a separate "Spot Clean" button. The "Clean House/Power" button is used to activate the robot and start a regular cleaning cycle, while the "Spot Clean" button is used to force the robot to vacuum within a limited (4 ' x 6’) space for a more thorough cleaning. On the XV series robots, a menu command gives you the option for Spot Clean.
- Botvac D3 & D5: These robots are not equipped with a screen, and all functions can be invoked from your smartphone using the associated Neato app. They are simply equipped with a "Start" button to activate the robot and start a cleaning session. There are also a couple of LEDs that display robot and battery states. Note that with Botvac D3 and D5 robots. you can initiate spot cleaning also by pressing the "Start" button twice.
Only the Botvac D3, Botvac D5 and Botvac Connected robots support Wi-Fi and can be controlled from your smartphone or tablet using the associated Neato app. You can use the Neato app to start, stop, schedule and receive notifications about your cleaning sessions. The Neato app is offered free both for Android and iOS devices.
The following are the dimensions of the various Neato Robots:
- XV Signature Pro and XV-21: 8.6 lbs.
- Botvac D75, D80, D85 and Botvac Connected: 9 lbs.
- Botvac D3 and D5: 7.5 lbs.
Neato robots can have the following types of brushes: a blade brush, a spiral blade brush, a combo brush and a side brush.
- The blade brushes offer superior cleaning performance across different types of floor surfaces and on bare floors. The blades, combined with Neato's powerful vacuum suction, remove easily debris, dirt and fibers. Note that the blade brushes that come with Botvac Connected, Botvac D80 and Botvac D85 are spiral rather than straight like in previous Botvac robots. The spiral blade brush works even more efficiently with all type of floors.
- The combo brush combines the cleaning power of blades and bristles and offers superior pickup of pet hair. It makes less noise during operation, and is ideal for picking up hair from carpeted floors.
- The side brush is for thorough edge cleaning. It allows the robot to get deep into corners and right up against walls as well as base boards for superior cleaning coverage.
Here is the list of brushes that come with each Neato model:
- XV Signature Pro and XV-21 come with blade brush and combo brush. There are no side brushes on the XV series robots.
- Botvac Connected, Botvac D80 and Botvac D85 come with spiral blade brush, combo brush and side brush.
- Botvac D75 comes with spiral blade brush and side brush.
- Botvac D3 comes with combo brush (no side brush).
- Botvac D5 comes with combo brush and side brush.
Neato robots come with either "standard", "high performance” or "ultra performance" filters. High performance filters can capture from the air allergens and dust particles as small as 3 microns in size. Ultra performance filters capture twice the amount of allergens and dust captured by high performance filters.
Here are the type of filters that come with each Neato model:
- XV-21 and XV Signature Pro come with a high-performance filter. XV Signature Pro comes with one additional high performance replacement filter (2 filters in all).
- Botvac D80 comes with a high-performance filter.
- Botvac D85 comes with a high-performance filter and 2 extra replacement high performance filters.
- Botvac Connected comes with an ultra-performance filter (an additional replacement ultra-performance filter is included).
- Botvac D75 comes with a standard filter.
- Botvac D3 comes with a standard filter.
- Botvac D5 comes with a ultra-performance filter (an additional replacement ultra-performance filter is included).
All filters are easy to change: just pop out and replace.
All Neato robots have bagless dirt bins, but Botvac robots have a larger dirt bin than the XV robots (see XV series and Botvac series Robots' top view images shown above for comparison). This means that Botvac robots can clean for longer periods before they need to be emptied. Note that when the bin gets filled up, the robots will sound a tone to let you know that the bin needs to be emptied.
The Neato robots come with the following batteries:
- XV Signature Pro and XV-21: Set of two rechargeable Ni-MH (Nickel–Metal Hydride) batteries.
- Botvac D75, D80 and D85: A single rechargeable Ni-MH battery.
- Botvac Connected: A single rechargeable high capacity Lithium-Ion battery.
- Botvac D3: A single rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery.
- Botvac D5: A single rechargeable high capacity Lithium-Ion battery.
XV series batteries run about 1.25 hours, while the Botvac series batteries run about 2 to 3 hours depending on the work load. But in either case, when the batteries run low, the robot goes back to docking base to recharge and pick up the cleaning where it had stopped it without human intervention.
XV robots are slightly noisier than Botvac robots.
To see exact prices, please refer to the Amazon products section below. Note that the Amazon price often includes a discount on the list price. If a discount is available, it will be shown when you click the Amazon product links below.
- Except for Botvac D3, all Botvac robots are equipped with a side brush, while there is no side brush on XV series robots.
- They have larger dirt bins than XV series robots, meaning that you don't have to empty the bin as often.
- They have larger brushes and filters than the XV series robots.
- They are less noisy than the XV series robots.
- Their batteries last longer.
- Some Botvac robots (Botvac D3, D5 and Botvac Connected) support Wi-Fi and can be controlled from your smartphone.
- Some Botvac robots (Botvac D5 and Botvac Connected) are equipped with ultra high performance filters that capture twice the amount of allergens and dust captured by high performance filters.
- Finally note that Botvac Connected comes with some special features not found on any of the other Neato robots:
- It can be invoked in two different modes: Eco and Turbo. In Eco mode, which is the economy mode, the robot executes a longer and quieter clean, while in Turbo mode it delivers a super-powerful clean (50% more powerful than Eco).
- Can execute variable-area spot cleans.
However, if you don't need a smartphone controllable robot but still want to get the best available non-WiFi Neato, you might want to consider the Botvac D80.
Neato Botvac Series and Neato XV Series Robots on Amazon
Note: Amazon often provides a good discount on the List Price of sold products. If a discount is available, the List Price and the actual Amazon price will be shown when you click the images below:
Neato Botvac Connected
Neato Botvac D3
Neato Botvac D5
Neato Botvac D80
Neato Botvac D85
Neato Botvac D75
Neato XV-21 and Neato XV Signature Pro
Additional Neato Boundary Markers
High Performance Filter
Ultra Performance Filter
Note: You might also be interested in the bObsweep floor cleaning robots:
bObsweep makes very high quality robots that can vacuum, mop and disinfect your floors all at the same time!
Please click below for a description and comparison of the various bObsweep floor cleaning robots:
Compare bObsweep Floor Cleaning Robots
And in case you can't decide whether to get a Neato, a bObi or a Roomba, you might want to read the following article that compares the most popular non-WiFi model from each brand:
Comparing Neato D80 with Roomba 880 and bObi Pet