Author: Maurice Savaryego, M.Sc.Eng. (Learn More)
Must-Have Features in an Air-Mattress:
- Portability: One of the main advantages of an air-mattress is that it can be deflated and packed up for storage or for taking with you anywhere you may need an extra bed to sleep on. The best brands come with either with a carry bag or a rolling case that can be used for packing and moving around. You should not get an airbed that is too heavy when deflated, so it can easily be moved around.
- Built-In Pump: You don't want to have to carry an air pump when you travel and to have to spend time and effort to inflate the mattress each time you need to use it. The beat airbeds brands come nowadays with a buit-in air-pump. You simply plug and inflate your bed in seconds. Note that the pump should also be able to deflate the mattress quickly.
- Controls for Different Comfort Levels: This feature allows you to set the air pump inflate the mattress to your desired comfort level, be it plush, medium, or firm.
- Adequate Size and Raised Height: Nowadays you can get single, twin and queen size airbeds. So you should have no problems choosing the size that you need. But make sure that the mattress has enough raised height. Mattresses that are at least 15 inches high are easier to get in an out of bed than lower ones. Of course, higher than 15" is even better.
Nice-to-Have Features in an Air-Mattress:
- Never-Flat Pump: The pump built in some mattresses are able to maintain the air pressure throughout the night. They eliminate sagging and loss of air that is so common in airbeds by maintaining constant air pressure all through the night. Though this is not a must have feature, it is definitely a nice-to-have.
- Automatic Shut-off: This feature turns the pump off once the bed is fully inflated or deflated, allowing you to turn on the pump and walk away without any worries. Again, a nice to have feature.
- Built-In Pillow Rest: Some mattresses have a raised pillow area, a feature that you may or may not require depending on your sleeping comfort habits.
Comparing the Selected Insta-Bed and Intex Airbeds
The following table compares the features of a queen size Insta-Bed Raised Never-Flat Airbed and a queen size Intex Deluxe Raised Pillow-Rest Airbed (note that both airbeds also come in twin size):
Table Notes 1-4 Explained:
Note 1: Height may vary up to 2 inches depending on firmness. Raised air bed design makes getting in and out of bed much easier.
Note 2: Never-Flat Pump silently maintains your airbed's firmness level even if there is a small leak in the air mattress.
- Insta-Bed Materials: 31.2 gauge flocked top, 21.6 gauge vinyl sides and bottom.
- Intex Materials: 21.2 gauge flocked top, 15 gauge vinyl sides and bottom.
So which of the two air-mattresses is best for you?
The first reason is that the Insta-Bed mattress has a 31.2 gauge flocked top and 21.6 gauge vinyl sides and bottom. On the other hand, the Intex mattress has a 21.2 gauge flocked top and 15 gauge vinyl sides and bottom. This simply means that the Insta-Bed mattress is made of stronger and more durable material than the Intex.
The second and more important reason is the advanced Never-Flat technology built into the Insta-Bed mattress. The vinyl that air-mattresses are made of has pores in it, so air leaks out over time, even if at a very low rate. Depending on the quality of the mattress, some some leak worse than others. Imagine, waking up in the middle of the night to inflate the bed because it has become uncomfortable due to air loss! Well, with the Insta-Bed mattress, you don't have to worry about any leaking. Once you set the mattress to the desired level of firmness, the pump makes sure that the set firmness level is kept all through the night. An exclusive and very useful feature not offered on the Intex.
The third reason for the price difference is that Insta-Bed offers a 1 year warranty while the warranty on the Intex mattress is only for 30 days.
We believe that the above three reasons justify the extra dollars you'd have to pay to get an Insta-Bed mattress, but if money is an issue for you, you will still be quite happy with the high quality of the Intex mattress which comes with the raised pillow rest, a feature not offered on the Insta-Bed mattress.
Insta-Bed and Intex Air Mattress es on Amazon
Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress
Insta-Bed Raised Air Mattress
Intex Pillow Rest Raised Airbed
Intex Pillow Rest Raised Airbed
Intex Deluxe Pillow-Rest Raised Airbed
(Quuen with Built-in Pillow & Pump)
Another Interestion Option:
The First Ever Microfiber Queen Air Mattress
from Englander with Built in Pump
Microfiber Englander Air Mattress Features:
You might also be interested in the following Memory Foam Mattress comparison:
Memory foam mattresses minimize pressure on the body and provide balanced support. They achieve this by molding to the body in response to heat and pressure, evenly distributing body weight. Indeed, when you lay on a memory foam mattress, it creates rapidly a personalized and balanced form around your body, supporting your weight evenly, eliminating motion disturbance and relieving pressure focused on your shoulders, hips, and feet. The result can be a unique and unprecedented sleeping experience. Another advantage of memory foam mattresses is being less aware of a bed partner's movements because there are no coiled springs. It is also claimed that these mattresses might be especially helpful for older people, because minimizing extra movement could reduce the number of times they awaken during the night. For more information on memory foam mattresses and for a comparison of two of the best and most popular brands, please click below:
Comparing Memory Foam Mattresses Zinus Ultima Comfort and Signature Sleep Memoir
Have you found yet what you were looking for?
Global Amazon Search
If you have not found what you are looking for among the above offerings, you can still search for it or for ANY OTHER PRODUCT you may need by clicking below and searching for what you need on Amazon.com: