Author: Maurice Savaryego, M.Sc.Eng. (Learn More)
(Please note that our website is supported by our readers: any sales made via the Amazon product links used on this site earns us commissions from Amazon.)
Compare Best Electric Toothbrushes: Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart vs. Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries
For a long time, it was believed that electric and manual toothbrushes are equally effective in removing plaque and keeping healthy teeth and gums as long as you brush twice a day for at least two minutes. But numerous recent studies have proven that electric toothbrushes do a considerably better job of cleaning your mouth and removing plaque and gingivitis.
If you have decided to ditch your manual toothbrush and switch to an electrical one, you might find this article useful. We will describe and compare here two of the best and most popular electric toothbrushes available today. These may be more expensive than other available brands, but they come from two of the most reputable companies dealing with teeth and gum healthcare and provide all the features you may need for keeping your mouth healthy, free of plaque and gingivitis.
This article will compare the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart and Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries electric toothbrushes.
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart
The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart toothbrush features the following:
- The patented Philips sonic technology which uses a unique dynamic action to reach gently and effectively between teeth and along the gum line. The latest sonic technology is able to clean teeth with up to 62,000 brush strokes per minute, and the company claims that this toothbrush can achieve up to 7x healthier gums and up to 10x less plaque.
- Four cleaning modes: DiamondClean Smart comes with four modes which cover a range of brushing needs: Clean mode is for exceptional daily cleaning, White+ mode is for removing stains, Deep Clean+ mode gives you an invigorating deep clean, and Gum Health mode provides a gentle yet effective clean for gums. It breaks up tongue debris and sweeps away bad-breath bacteria.
- Three intensities allow you to choose between a higher setting to boost your clean and a lower one for more-sensitive mouths.
- Four brush heads for exceptional results: the plaque control brush head removes more plaque from hard-to-reach areas, the gum-care brush reduces gum inflammation for healthier gums, while the white brush removes more stains. There is also a tongue care brush.
- Smart mode pairing: Bluetooth 4.0 connectiviy with your smartphone (Android and iOS compatible), so you can connect your toothbrush to the associated Philips Sonicare app on your phone, and it will tell you if you're brushing too hard, which areas you missed, etc.
- Brush head recognition: Wondering which mode and intensity you should use? Wonder no longer: A microchip in your brush head tells your DiamondClean Smart which brush you're using. So if you click on a gum-care brush head, for example, your toothbrush knows to select the optimal mode and intensity to provide a gentle yet effective care for your gums. All you need to do is to press the power button.
- Three smart sensors take the guesswork out of brushing: The location sensor shows you where you’ve brushed, and more importantly, where you’ve missed. If you brush too hard, the pressure sensor will trigger a light to flash, so you know to ease up on the pressure. And if you start scrubbing, the scrubbing sensor reminds you to let the brush do the work. Perfecting your brushing technique and building healthy habits have never been easier.
- Setting of oral-health goals and helping you reach them with personalized coaching. If your dentist has pointed out any trouble spots, just put them into your 3D mouth map so that you are reminded to give them extra care every time you brush.
- A unique charging glass: It uses conduction technology as it charges the toothbrush while the toothbrush rests in the glass. The glass can also be used to rinse your mouth after brushing. Simply put the toothbrush into the sleek glass charger after brushing, and it instantly starts charging. Your glass charger makes a stylish addition to your bathroom-and it doubles as a rinsing glass. Enjoy up to two weeks of regular use from a single full charge.
- Premium travel case: the included travel case lets you store your toothbrush hygienically when you're on the go.
- Comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries
- The clinically proven Oral-B 3D technology which uses oscillations, rotations and pulsations to break up plaque. The company claims that it can remove up to 300% more plaque than a regular manual toothbrush and that it is capable of up to 800 brush movements per second.
- The Oral-B Pro CrossAction round brush head with perfectly angled bristles for precise cleaning of the teeth. The specially designed brush head surrounds each tooth with bristles angled at 16 degrees that can reach deep between teeth. This allows the 3D cleaning action to break up and remove as much plaque as possible.
- Six brushing modes:
Daily Clean: Operates with 3D movements for a basic, everyday clean.
Gum Care: Features massage mode for the gentle stimulation of gums.
Whitening: Alternates between speeds for a gentle polishing on the tooth surface to remove surface stains.
Deep Clean: Extends your brushing time for an even more comprehensive clean.
Sensitive: Operates at a lower speed to gently clean teeth and gums.
Tongue Cleaner: Helps clean bacteria from the tongue.
- A pressure sensor that lights up if you brush too hard to prevent harmful over-brushing, and automatically decelerates the pulsation and oscillation speeds of the brush head.
- A timer to help you brush for the dentist-recommended two minutes. The timer resides on a separate unit called the SmartGuide which is run by batteries and which communicates with the toothbrush unit through Bluetooth. Note that the timer defaults to a clock when you are not brushing, which is a handy feature.
- Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity: It is the world’s first electronic toothbrush with Bluetooth connectivity which allows the brush to connect with your smartphone to give you real-time feedback on your brushing habits. Simply download the Oral-B app on your smartphone and connect with Bluetooth to get real-time feedback on your brushing habits which you can monitor over time with intuitive graphs and charts, and store up to 6 months of your personal brushing data.
- Rechargeable Battery: No batteries need to be purchased for the toothbrush. It comes with a travel case and a charger with extra space for a refill brush head. To recharge, all you need to do is place the toothbrush on the charger and connect the charger to an AC outlet. A battery indicator light on the toothbrush illuminates when power is running low and the battery needs to be recharged. Note that 2 AAA batteries are required for the SmartGuide unit that contains the timer. But they are included.
So, which of the two electric toothbrushes to buy?
The technology used by the two brushes are not identical: Philips Sonicare DiamondClean uses the patented sonic technology which vibrates the brush head at very high frequency. On the other hand, the 3D technology used by Oral-B Pro 7000 uses oscillations, rotations and pulsations to break up plaque. As shown by the following statement in Wikipedia, there is quite a bit of unresolved argument as to which technology is best for teeth and gum health:
" Individual clinical research has shown Sonicare toothbrushes to be more effective than comparable Oral-B electric toothbrushes in reduction of gingival inflammation and therefore improvement in peridontal health. However, a 2004 review of 29 studies concluded that only electric toothbrushes with rotational/oscillation movement removed more plaque than other brushes when correctly used.
A second review found no clinical evidence for the dynamic fluid activity of the Sonicare toothbrush being more effective in plaque removal than an Oral-B oscillating/rotating electric toothbrush. Finally, a 2007 study comparing the two found the rotation/oscillation brush to be more effective in single-use plaque reduction.
An additional study showed that while both Sonicare and Oral B electric toothbrushes do better than manual toothbrushes in removing plaque, reducing gingival inflammation, and reducing probing depths, the Sonicare showed significantly more improvement than Oral B. "
Reading the above, you probably have guessed by now that there is no definite agreement as to which is better, but clearly, looking at the mostly raving reviews provided by Amazon customers and the average rating of at least 4 stars both toothbrushes had received, there is a good chance that you would be quite happy with either toothbrush.
Compared Philips Sonicare and Oral-B Toothbrushes on Amazon
Please Note: For non-US customers, when you click the links below, you will be provided with the Amazon links for your country (such as Canada or UK), if the product is available in your country.
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean
(Four Colours Offered)
Oral-B Pro 7000 SmartSeries
(Two Colors Offered)
Have you not found yet what you were looking for?
Global Amazon Search
If you have not found what you are looking for among the above offerings, you can still search for it or for ANY OTHER PRODUCT you may need by clicking below and searching for what you need on Amazon.com: