Author: Maurice Savaryego, M.Sc.Eng. (Learn More)
(Please note that our website is supported by commissions earned when products are sold through the provided links.)
Compare Permanent Hair Removal Devices: Remington iLight Pro or Tria Beauty Laser 4X?
Before using IPl/Laser based hair removal systems, you should first make sure that your skin type and hair color is compatible with IPL/Laser based treatments:
- People with dark skin tones have a higher risk of skin injury from IPL/Laser based treatments, because of higher levels of melanin in the skin, melanin being the pigment that gives color to skin and hair. For additional safety, some devices have a built-in smart sensor that detects if skin tone is too dark for treatment and will not pulse if the skin has too much pigment.
- Using IPL/Laser treatments on tattoos or dark spots can injure the skin.
- Treatments work best on darker hair types or hair that contains more melanin and therefore can absorb more energy. Black and dark brown hairs respond the best, although brown and light brown hairs will also respond, but typically require more treatments. Lighter hair colors such as naturally white, blonde, red, or gray will not absorb enough of the light pulse based energy to disable the hair follicle, and therefore, in general, will not respond as well to treatments.
- These systems are designed for use on legs, arms, underarms, bikini line and other areas of the body where hair removal is desired. Some are not supposed to be used for facial hair removal, but others, such as Tria Laser 4X and certain models of Remington iLight, can be used for facial hair treatments as well. Even though these products do not require to wear some sort of eye protection (like goggles) when the face is treated, if you consider that when you go to a professional they usually make you wear goggles, it makes sense to protect your eyes during home treatments of the face as well.
- Finally, you should read very carefully the instructions and warnings that come with these devices to avoid errors that could cause injury.
Comparing the Selected Permanent Hair Removal IPL/Laser Devices
The following table compares the features of the selected IPL/Laser Hair Removal devices (please read the table notes that follow for a better understanding of the features offered):
Most permanent hair removal systems nowadays use either some form of IPL or Laser based technology described above.
- Remington iLight Pro’s ProPulse technology is similar to the IPL technology used by dermatologists. It generates light pulses that effectively targets hair follicles to disable growth by putting out energy at optimal power levels.
iLight Pro uses a 1500 flash glass bulb. The company claims that after just a few treatments you can see results that last 6 months, and that after the initial treatment regimen, iLIGHT Pro should be used only as needed. It has 5 application intensity settings corresponding to 5 intensity levels.
- Tria Beauty Laser 4X uses professional-strength laser hair removal technology and the company claims that it can deliver 70% hair reduction within 3 months. It targets the pigment in your hair and permanently disables the hair follicle's ability to regrow hair. Tria Laser 4X has a built-in battery and is designed to last for about 300-400 charges (equivalent to about 90,000 pulses which should be enough for a very long time). There are no replacement bulbs, cartridges or batteries, so you must purchase another unit if you require treatment beyond 400 charges. It comes with advanced features like faster treatment times, a digital display and a pulse counter to make sure you get the best possible results. It has 5 application intensity settings corresponding to 5 intensity levels.
- Remington specifies that iLIGHT systems should not be used anywhere on or around the face, head, ears or neck. In particular, do not use the iLIGHT Pro on or around the eyes, eyebrows or eyelashes.
- According to the manufacturer, Tria Beauty Laser 4X can be used from head-to-toe to produce permanent results and laser-smooth skin, and Amazon customers have reported that they used it successfully on their face.
For additional safety, both brands and models compared here have a built-in smart sensor that detects if skin tone is too dark for treatment and will not pulse if the skin has too much pigment.
Only Tria is equipped with a digital user-interface window which guides you through treatments and helps troubleshoot errors. You can view on the window the 5-comfort settings of the device, battery charge status, a skin sensor indicator and the lock status of your device. It also features a pulse counter, allowing you to track the number of pulses administered within any single treatment area to target the optimum number of pulses and ensure complete coverage accuracy.
The Remington system does not require any batteries. It is corded and to use it, you simply plug it in. Note that it is the life of the cartridge (or bulb) that's within the device that determines its life. More precisely, it is the cartridge's predetermined number of "flashes" that decides the life of the product. What you will have to change after a while is the cartridge (or bulb).
Tria Laser 4X is cordless and has a built-in battery that is designed to last for about 300-400 charges (equivalent to about 90,000 pulses). There are no replacement batteries, bulbs or cartridges, so you must purchase another unit if you require treatment beyond 400 charges. The battery charger is included in the purchase.
For exact prices on these hair removal devices, please refer to the Amazon products section below. Note that the Amazon price often includes a generous discount to the list price. If a discount exists, both the Amazon price and the list price will be displayed when you click the Amazon product link images below.
So, which of these permanent hair removal systems should you get?
Finally, here is a summary of what the manufacturers of these IPL/Laser hair removal devices claim:
Remington iLight Pro:
The manufacturer claims that after just three treatments you can see results that last 6 months, and that in clinical testing, on average, participants had 48% less hair 6 months after just 3 treatments, similar to results observed from professional hair removal devices.
Tria Beauty Laser 4X:
The manufacturer claims that Tria Laser 4X is supposed to deliver 70% hair reduction within 3 months, with one treatment applied every 2 weeks. On a study done on test subjects, it was also found that any hair that did regrow was less noticeable and finer. Of the 13 test subjects, 100% reported satisfaction with the results.
Finally, before you decide which permanent hair removal system to get, you need to consider a number of points:
- Do you prefer a corded or cordless device? If you prefer a cordless device (specially for people who travel a lot), then you should get the Tria Laser 4X as Remington iLight Pro is a corded unit.
- Do you prefer IPL or Laser technology? There is an ongoing discussion regarding which technology produces better results, and people being all different, some will observe satisfactory results with IPL, while others will prefer Laser. At the end of the day, it all depends on the type of skin and the type of hair that you have. Note however, that Laser systems can be more effective for permanent hair reduction as they use a single wavelength that can create more heat and more focused light energy that is directly concentrated on the hair follicle, yielding better and longer lasting results with less chance for any side effects since compared with IPL which uses a range of wavelengths, there is less heat being absorbed by the tissue surrounding the follicle. So, if you prefer Laser technology, you should go for the Tria Beauty Laser 4X as the Remington iLight Pro unit considered here uses IPL technology.
- If you want to treat your face as well, you should choose the Tria Beauty Laser 4X system, as it is not recommended using the above compared Remington iLight Pro system for the face (for another Remington system system that can be used for both the face and body, the Remington iLight Ultra, please see the Amazon section below).
- Finally, for the longest warranty you should consider the Remington iLIGHT Pro system which comes with a 2-year warranty as opposed to 1-year for the Tria Beauty Laser 4X.
Compared Permanant Hair Removal Devices on Amazon
Please Note: For non-US customers, when you click the links below, you will be provided with the Amazon links for your country (such as Canada or UK), if the product is available in your country.
Hair Removal Device
Hair Removal Device
For exact price information on the Remington iLIGHT Ultra or to purchase it, please click below:
Please Note: If you are also looking for the most popular and the best performing skin cleansing brushes available on the market, please click:
Compare Top FOREO LUNA Sonic Facial Cleansing Brushes
Have you not found yet what you were looking for?
Global Amazon Search
If you have not found what you are looking for among the above offerings, you can still search for it or for ANY OTHER PRODUCT you may need by clicking below and searching for what you need on Amazon.com: