Author: Maurice Savaryego, M.Sc.Eng. (Learn More)
(Please note that our website is supported by commissions earned when products are sold through the provided links.)
Best Vitamin-C Shower Filters: UBS Vita-Fresh and Sonaki
- Using KDF (Kinetic Degradation Fluxion) filters which use copper and zinc to electrochemically change the structure of chlorine so that it becomes harmless.
- Using Activated Carbon filters which are the type of filters you find in water filter pitchers like Brita or PUR.
- Using Vitamin-C filters which come in the form of ascorbic acid which is a compound that neutralizes chlorine.
But there are a number of problems with KDF filtration:
- It is mostly effective at removing free chlorine and may have no appreciable effect on chloramine which is a more stable form of chlorine.
- The efficacy of the KDF filtration may depend on the contact time of the water with the filter media, and therefore in order to be effective KDF filters may have to restrict the water flow.
- KDF filtration media may contain certain elements called "free radicals" that can be damaging to human cells due to their interaction at the molecular level with nucleic acids, lipids and proteins.
- KDF filtration may be subject to degradation by the sedimentary quality of the water supply, and the filter may clog and become ineffective after some use.
- KDF uses copper and zinc, both of which may affect negatively the color of hair that has been treated with hair coloring.
There are also problems with Active Carbon filtration:
- First, note that Active Carbon filtration loses its effectiveness at water temperatures above 80 degrees F, and that the average shower water temperature is around 107 degrees F.
- Like KDF filtration, the efficacy of Active Carbon filtration process depends on the contact time with the filter media, and like KDF filters, Active Carbon filters must restrict the water flow to be really effective.
- Like KDF filtration, active carbon filtration is only effective in removing free chlorine and may have no appreciable effect on chloramine which is becoming increasingly popular as an alternative to chlorine for municipal water purification.
- Like KDF filtration, Active Carbon filtration may be subject to degradation by the sedimentary quality of the water supply and the filter may clog and become ineffective after some use.
Fortunately, there is also the third solution: Using Vitamin-C filters:
- Vitamin-C utilizes a rapid chemical reaction in neutralizing chlorine and chloramine, and therefore it is very effective and works at any water temperature and water pressure. Furthermore, Vitamin-C filters do not need to reduce the flow rate of your shower water, and it is not effected by the quality of the water entering the filter.
- In addition to getting rid of the chlorine and chloramine in your shower water, with Vitamin-C you may also receive its many benefits.
In summary, Vitamin-C appears to be a safe way to neutralize the chlorine and chloramine found in your shower water, and provides additional nutrients for your skin and hair. It works well in hot water whereas the other chlorine filtering methods do not.
Unfortunately, many shower filters that you can find today are KDF and Active Carbon based and do not use Vitamin-C.
The most popular Vitamin-C shower filter brands today are UBS Vita-Fresh and Sonaki.
Note that the UBS and Sonaki Vitamin-C products use practically an identical Vitamin-C filter.
We will describe below in detail the UBS Vita-Fresh Vitamin-C shower filters. Since Sonaki uses practically the same filter as UBS Vita-Fresh, it will only be addressed in the Amazon products section below, where you will be able to obtain both types of Vitamin-C shower filters.
For those looking for a showerhead with integrated Vitamin-C filter, we will also provide some Vitamin-C showerhead recommendations in the Amazon section below.
If you're in a hurry and wish to see Amazon product and price information for the selected Vitamin-C shower filters and showerheads, please click the following link:
Selected Vitamin-C Shower Filters and Showerheads on Amazon
UBS Vita-Fresh Vitamin-C Shower Filter
It has a transparent housing which allows you to see the filter cartridge inside and makes it very easy to know when the filter needs to be replaced. Basically, you replace the cartridge when it is all used up which you can actually see through the transparent housing.
It releases the exact amount of Vitamin-C to neutralize chlorine or chloramine as the water flows, and when the water is shut off, the filter stops releasing the vitamin. This economy of vitamin release increases considerably the useful life of the filter.
The filter is capable of neutralizing 99.9% of the chlorine and chloramine found in your shower water. This is true regardless of the water pressure, water temperature or the quality of your water.
These shower filters have a life-time of anywhere between 1 to 3 months, depending on the amount frequency of usage. Each filter can effectively neutralize chlorine and chloramine in up to 3,000 gallons of water. This represents about 2 months of showering in a typical household (2 showers per day, about 7 minutes each).
As mentioned, because the filter casing is transparent, you can tell easily when you need to replace it. Note that the filter cartridge is very easy to replace, and that your purchase of this product will already include an extra cartridge.
Finally, note also that this filter comes with the special Dolki natural ceramic ball which makes water molecules smaller and energizes the water to improve the hydration. The ball is simply placed at bottom of the filter housing below the filter cartridge.
The picture here shows the transparent filter housing, the filter cartridge and the Dolki ball.
Installation of the UBS Vita-Fresh filter on an existing wall mounted showerhead is very simple. The following pictures describe the installation procedure:
Vitamin-C shower filters will neutralize the chlorine and chlorimines in your shower water, and with continued use, you should notice improvement in your skin and hair.
The filter casing of UBS Vita-Fresh is transparent. Therefore, you replace the cartridge when you actually see that it is all used. Note that your purchase of UBS Vita-Fresh usually includes at least one extra filter cartridge.
Finally note that, if at the time you place the order the UBS Vita-Fresh is not in stock in the US, you may have to wait for a couple of weeks, as it will be shipped from Korea.
UBS Vita-Fresh and Sonaki Vitamin-C Shower Filters Are Available Below on Amazon:
Please click the Amazon US link image below for the product of your choice to see exact price information or to purchase.
Please Note: For non-US customers, when you click the links below, you will be provided with the Amazon links for your country (such as Canada or UK), if the product is available in your country.
UBS Vita-Fresh Vitamin-C Shower Filters
UBS Vita-Fresh Refill
UBS Vita-Fresh Refill
Sonaki Vitamin-C Shower Filters
- The first one is used with a Vitamin-C filter. It comes with 3 Vitamin-C filter cartridges included.
- The second one uses both a Vitamin-C filter and a PureMax filter. The PureMax filter with Activated Carbon Fiber and bio ceramics also removes chlorine, heavy metals, sediment, Phenol and other disinfection by-products. The assembly comes with 4 Vitamin-C filter cartridges and 1 PureMax filter cartridge included.
Sonaki InLine Shower Assembly
Sonaki InLine Shower Assembly
Sonaki Vitamin C
Sonaki Vitamin C
Important Note: For those who don't already have a showerhead or who are looking to replace their existing showerhead, you can buy nowadays Vitamin-C showerheads with built-in filtering (you just need to replace the filtering cartridge when required).
You will find below Vitamin-C showerheads we recommend and their filter cartridges:
Please Note: If you are also looking for the most popular and the best performing skin cleansing systems available on the market, please click:
Compare Clarisonic Skin Cleansing Systems
Have you not found yet the what you were looking for?
Global Amazon Search
If you have not found what you are looking for among the above offerings, you can still search for it or for ANY OTHER PRODUCT you may need by clicking below and searching for what you need on Amazon.com: